Helping you navigate the South Carolina family courts.
Though divorce is very common in the United States—with almost half of marriages ending in divorce—when it happens to your family, it is a major life-changing experience. For the parties and their children alike, the end of a marriage can be a trying time. Let divorce attorney Emily Ayers help you and your family resolve these issues so you can get back to living your life and focus on your children.
South Carolina recognizes five grounds for divorce: adultery; desertion for a period of a year; physical cruelty; habitual drunkenness or drug abuse; and living separate and apart without cohabitation for a year. Getting divorced is much more complicated than getting married. The entire process could take from six months to over a year, depending on the grounds for divorce, cooperation between the parties, the complexity of the case, and Court docket scheduling. Ayers Family Law, LLC is committed to your best interests throughout the entire process, including the division of assets, child custody and visitation, and alimony. Please call us to schedule an in-depth consultation to further discuss your family’s specific needs and find out if one of our divorce law firm is right for you.
Divorce & Family Legal Services
- DivorceAre you contemplating divorce? Not everyone is afforded the opportunity to plan for their separation or divorce. Before leaving your marriage, you and your spouse should attempt to work together to devise a plan as to how bills will be paid, who will be the primary care giver for the children, and how property division will be handled, at least on a temporary basis. If you find yourself already separated or facing a divorce lawsuit, an attorney can advise you as to how best to proceed within the bounds of the law. Our office can help you determine if you or your spouse is entitled to alimony. We are available to offer creative solutions as to how to maintain possession of your home in the event of a divorce. We can provide the answers you need to stay focused on what’s important whether it’s your career, your children, or your finances.
- AlimonyOur office can help you determine if you or your spouse is entitled to alimony. In South Carolina, many factors can influence the judge’s decision to award the spouse alimony. Among the considerations are the duration of the marriage, the standard of living established during the marriage, the educational background and employment history of each spouse, and the physical and emotional health of each party among other factors. We ensure that the terms of alimony are fair for both parties.
- Property & Debt DivisionWe are available to offer creative solutions as to how to maintain possession of your home in the event of a divorce. All too often in divorce cases, one spouse will lose their right to what’s theirs simply because they don’t have competent legal representation and aren’t aware of their options as they pertain to property rights. Divorce and Family law firms help ensure that the division of property and debt is fair and equitable as it pertains to the perspective rights and obligations of each spouse.
- Child CustodyDivorce can be traumatic on a family, and children often bear the brunt of the stress. Subsequent child custody battles between you and a former spouse can prolong the discomfort and be devastating for children. At Ayers Family Law, LLC we understand that you want to see your children settled and receiving the best possible care. We have experience with child custody disputes, and we are eager to help you to fulfill your desire to be an active and involved parent. Child custody attorney Emily Ayers believes that it is in the best interest of our clients and their children to settle custody issues outside of Court, by working with the other party to create an agreement or a parenting plan. Settling the issue of custody will save you money, time, and stress. Of course, if this is not possible, we will zealously represent your interests in Court. If you are seeking custody of your children, please let us help you navigate the Family Court system.
- Child SupportIn South Carolina, child support payments are dictated by a simple formula that accounts for the differences in income between the custodial parent and the non-custodial parent. A divorce attorney ensures that this procedure is followed properly so that the terms of child support are fair and in the best interest of the child.
- AdoptionAdoption is the process of assuming parental rights and responsibilities for a child from the child’s birth parent or parents, and adoption is a permanent change in legal status. New adoption regulations in South Carolina have made the process complex and have presented new challenges and opportunities, both for parents adopting a child or giving up a child for adoption. There are many legal requirements for adoptions, including the termination of the birth parent’s rights. Whether you choose private adoption or are seeking to adopt a stepchild, let an adoption attorney help guide you through the complexities and legal requirements to achieve your goal for your family. Call our office today to schedule a consultation with an attorney.
Schedule a Consultation
Call 843-628-2871 or fill out our contact form to set up a consultation with family law attorney Emily Ayers.